Dec 26, 2008

christmas in Quelimane

I had a beautiful Christmas day here in Quelimane. There are several missionary groups represented here in this little African town. All working for different churches or mission organizations. Some families have been here five, ten, fifteen years. Their children have been born and grown up here; it is their only home. Missionaries sometimes scare me. They have a fearless mentality. And I’ve always found it difficult to relate to them at times. The families here in Quelimane are not like that. They are kind and welcoming and so far have not sat and argued their different theological beliefs with one another during a get together. I am still new to this town, so I don’t have all the inside dirt. But from what can be told on the outside and from time spent together, they are a family. A family who has taken me in from the first day I arrived and have been nothing but kind and generous and always looking out for me. I have been truly blessed with their acceptance.

We celebrated Christmas together at one of their homes just outside Quelimane. There must have been 30+ people there. It was a big family gathering and I felt at home. It was really nice. We had a bbq outside and lots of food to spoil ourselves. The afternoon was spent playing board games and card games and sharing what our families were doing at home on Christmas day. It was nice to know that others shared the loneliness and the sadness of missing the holiday with family. We could take comfort that we were not alone in that. :-) The day went by quickly. The Christmas story was read as we all gathered round. Coffee and dessert followed with group games that the adults and children played in together – the children loving that their minds were just a slight bit faster and sharper than their parents. :-) It was a beautiful Christmas day.

In the evening I joined four other Americans, the few of us younger singles in town and we happily shared in treasures that arrived in packages from the states, enjoyed sucking on candy canes and watched The Christmas Story. My friends had decorated their apartment to look like Christmas at home – paper snowflakes hung from the ceiling (hundreds of them!), flashing Christmas lights adorned the doorways and Christmas tree. It was a winter wonderland in a very hot African town!

And then later in the evening I shared in the laughter and surprises of my family as skype graciously stayed online and mom gave me the commentary of our annual gift opening on their Christmas morn. It was a beautiful Christmas!

No comments: