Dec 21, 2008

:-)

An innocent banter of the eyes never hurt anyone, right?

I smiled as I turned around. The two policemen I tried to walk past were calling out to me to stop. I hesitated, then turned around with a smile, bom dia, and a little banter of the eyes. I did not want to go to jail today!

It was raining. I was soaked head to toe. Two heavy grocery bags in hand. I tried out my little Portuguese for as long as I could carry the conversation, knowing that would help. The policeman seemed more interested in how I was doing than anything else. He wanted to know why I was in town, I said I lived here, what was I doing, working, where was I living, just up the street. I asked him the same questions. He smiled back. I tried not to show how nervous I was, as several of the other "white" people in town had been questioned and held in police custody for hours. All week police have been roaming the streets to check passports. I guess with the holiday season they have alot of people coming in without a visa. I have no idea how, as any place aside from Maputo is difficult to get to. Challenging to say the least. If a person was wondering around without a visa or valid passport, they'd have been wondering for days on end. Quelimane is not an easy place to arrive.

I kept smiling at the police officer. He practiced his little English with me and allowed me to walk home. I was more than thankful as my passport is currently being held with Immigration and I did not want to join it! I had a Christmas party to get to! :-)

No comments: