Dec 3, 2008

big white & fluffy

I enjoy the day flights and try to get a window seat whenever I can. Fluffy white clouds always make me think. It’s almost trance-like as I get lost in my thoughts. On this flight I was reminded of how blessed I am. How blessed my life has been and all the many things I have to be thankful for. I thought of my very first flight to Africa; it was 8 years ago. I would never have imagined all the places I have been and experiences I have now had in these past years following that first flight. I have so much to be thankful for. So many experiences, so many people in my life, so much opportunity.

The flight back from Maputo to Quelimane today, I am flying with a colleague’s wife and two young children. The kids are in the seats in front of me. I watch as the young boy looks wide-eyed out of the window and points out all that he sees. He is also very blessed. He is growing up in an English family in Africa. I often am asked if I want to raise my family overseas or if I’d want to go back to America. I don’t have an answer yet. There is something absolutely beautiful to watch children learn and grow to respect a culture outside of their own. They learn the language, make friends, and think no different of their home being here than somewhere else. They have this amazing opportunity to fly across the world and see so many things. But they also miss out on so much from their own culture and extended family life. Thankfully I don’t yet have to make a decision :-). I can just sit back and enjoy the wonder on this sweet boys face as he views the world beneath us, as we fly high above the big white and fluffy clouds.

They are awesome!

No comments: