Jan 14, 2009

2:17 am

i awake by the slap of a hand. i sit straight up. i hear buzzing. i can feel my cheeks dripping with moisture. where am i? what just happened?

its only mosquitoes. i am safe. but why am i so hot?

the air is thick. i open my eyes. i see nothing. i start to itch. another slap to the face. now there is only silence.

the power has gone out.

i stumble in the dark and find my flashlight. i drink some water. i go to the window to get some air. the room has started to get stuffy. the air outside is even hotter. i close the window.

must kill the mosquito flying around.

i check the clock. its 2:17am. i check the fuse box. no trips. i look outside. down the street has light. across the way has light. our block has no light. dogs begin to bark. a fight has broken out. within minutes it is silent again.

i only hearing buzzing. i only hear mosquitoes. i lay back down, cover my head with the sheet, try and hold my breathe. its too hot to lay still. i close my eyes and wish for sleep.

No comments: