Nov 5, 2008

in the presence

Some people say they can feel prayers being lifted or when they are in the presence of angels. I am feeling extremely blessed this week. For my family and friends who have been praying, I am grateful to you. Thank you.

Sunday I moved to a small town on the northeastern coast of Mozambique, a place called Quelimane. My time in Mutarara was challenging and as much as I loved living the village life for a short time, I realized I need a few more people in my life who I can communicate with and a few more comforts to indulge in (running water, electricity, aircon, fruits and vegetables – to name a few :-)). I have found this town to be full of welcoming smiles not only on the streets, but also in people’s homes and in the office. It is only Wednesday and I’ve been invited to homes for lunch and dinner every day this week! I even have plans for the weekend! (I had briefly forgotten what weekends were – days were measured by the excitement of the crocodiles in the village!) I am overwhelmed by the kindness of the international community and by the church community here; it is something I had not yet experienced these last few months in Maputo or Mutarara.

My first day in a new office and a new town I was invited to a colleagues home to meet his family and have lunch. We all sat down together at a big table and had lively conversations around his youngest sons’ fascinations with cyclones and hurricanes and Madagascar. :-) It was really nice to share a meal with a family. I hadn’t realized how much I missed that until I sat down around their table. Later that day I was introduced to a local pastor and his wife who open their homes to short-term missionaries. I met several more people and played with a four-month old baby girl. She fell in love with me and was so adorable! Today I have been invited to housesit for a colleague for the next couple weeks – in a big cool African compound with a garden and dogs and a very extensive DVD collection! And at the present I am looking for a home to call my own. I looked at a couple of apartments last night with a local university student who spoke excellent English and was so kind to take me around town. I didn’t feel very comfortable in either of the apartments, so as I’ve been given a couple weeks to housesit, I will keep looking.

I have met several people on the street today that wanted to meet me. They had already heard of my story and wanted to invite me to have dinner with their families. And this morning at breakfast I met an American who is staying in the same motel I am – turns out he also went to college in Minneapolis and is now working with Samaritans Purse. He had also heard about me from someone and wanted to introduce himself –I guess the missionaries like to talk. :-) Oh and I met the US warden today – he invited me to a concert in the park on Saturday to meet the other young ngo workers. I have been longing for company and it seems that I may be in just the right place!

I am feeling blessed.

No comments: