Jul 26, 2008

birthday parties & small talk

My new supervisor graciously invited me to a colleague’s birthday party for his 2-year-old daughter. My first day in Mozambique, I humbly oblige. It’s a beautiful sunny day; the weather is cooler than I expected. The streets are lined with palm trees. We walk into an outdoor restaurant with balloons and red table cloths decorating the scene. Two giant birthday cakes sit at the head table. The guest of honor toddles around with a party hat strapped to her little head full of tiny braids. Small children laugh as they run around stealing food off their parents’ plates. I meet a new colleague and his family – his daughter smiles up at me with this mysterious twinkle in her eyes. She giggles. I’m introduced to my supervisor’s wife and young daughter. She says hello and asks if I speak French. I suddenly would like to email my French teacher and ask why the only word I can remember is “pamplamous” -which translates to grapefruit. How can I use that in a sentence? I can’t think of a way.

Small talk is much more difficult when no words can be used. I sit there and realize out of a crowd of 50+ people, there are only two others who speak English. I must start learning Portuguese very fast! Reading and understanding is one thing, speaking and communicating is another. I need to learn quickly. I wish I could speak with these people. They are all very welcoming and kind as we exchange smiles and hand gestures. The awkwardness of it eventually turns into a comfortable silence. I sit back and enjoy the party.

1 comment:

kate said...

now we both live in portuguese speaking areas! maybe i should learn with you...