Jan 21, 2011

“Last call…K...P...please find your way to gate xx”


Adventures do not always start out in grand flare.  Just after Thanksgiving I interviewed for my dream job with a Christian International Relief and Development organization. By Christmas, I had received and accepted the offer. I was headed back to Kenya - to live in Nairobi and travel throughout Africa supporting 7 country offices and numerous projects. I could not be more excited!!!
Leaving Minnesota was a lot harder than I anticipated. I was happy in that I had accomplished a small victory in making a home and trying the “normal” life. If I was having a hard time leaving, I must not have failed too miserably at it.  This new adventure began with a week and a half at headquarters in a beautiful little mountain town in North Carolina. Complete with winter blizzards and deep southern accents.  New friends were made quickly (who I am already missing); each of us boarding numerous planes to countries around the world. All going for the same mission, wrapped up in nerves and excitement, commissioned to our new assignments.
The start of my moving trip began with little sleep and a very rainy and foggy day to drive down the mountainside. Catching the first flight out gave me an opportunity to exercise my bargaining and bribing skills as I checked in but three minutes before cut off and said a quick prayer as my rental was parked illegally outside the doors. I entertained the security guys as I chugged my full water bottle and unloaded my oversized carry-on to walk through security. A brisk sprint down the corridor brought me to the first flight just as the doors were closing. The couple behind me was denied their seats as they too were late and the airline had already given their seats to standby. I was extremely lucky to be bumped to first class on that flight and therefore still have my seat. I landed in Detroit thinking I had several hours to conduct last minute business calls, postal mail, grab some lunch, and make my last stateside calls to friends and family. Nope. To my surprise, I hear my name being called over the loudspeaker. ”Last boarding call…K...P...please find your way to gate xx. We are now departing for Amsterdam.”
I ran.
The gate was already closed. I was out of breath by this point and some nice lady took pity on me opening the sealed door. I was on my way to Amsterdam. But I hadn’t grabbed lunch and I hadn’t made my phone calls. Here I go.
I arrived in Amsterdam at 6am. The sun was not yet shining. There is a section in the airport labeled “comfy chairs”. I found one and sat down. In my exhausted state I did not set an alarm. I figured I had five hours till my next flight.  Turns out I can’t do math when I am sleepy. Not five hours. Just three. I woke to a very bright sunny morning. It was a good thing I was wearing my running shoes! I almost missed my third and final flight. Now I realize I am sounding quite irresponsible at this point; but have I mentioned I also slept 15 of the 19 flight hours?
Nairobi welcomed me with a warm breeze, a full moon, and a giraffe slowly making its way across the highway. 
Oh, Africa. How I’ve missed you!

2 comments:

Laurie K. said...

Please keep posting! I'm missing it so ...

Anonymous said...

Oh my dear Kristi, so much Pearson in you! (that part of us that does not want to get to airports on time, as I might have done in my younger years). Your story took my breath away! With love, Your Uncle Richard