Mar 25, 2011

pick up your mat and walk.

“’Sir,’ the invalid replied, ‘I have no one to help me into the pool when the water is stirred. While I am trying to get in, someone else goes down ahead of me.’” John 5:7

Our study this morning was on John chapter 5. To quick recap: a disabled man lay near the healing pool in Bethesda, 38 years he waits for someone to assist him into the healing waters so he may walk. Jesus comes and asks him if he wants to be healed. He answers (7) “yes, but I have no one to help me; someone else always gets in first.” Jesus replies (8): “Get up! Pick up your mat and walk.” We each had different interpretations of what this implies. The study was on dependency and how so many communities in developing countries become dependent on foreign aid; the endless question of what can be done to stop the destructive cycle, but also continue to assist when immediate needs are critical. A colleague interpreted the passage more personally; sharing that sometimes we pray and ask for something with a specific answer in mind. Often, we do not see outside of our box, our thoughts of which solution is best, and miss completely that our prayers have already been answered. Often our healing and assistance may be found right in front of us. We only need to get up, pick up that which we have been lying on, and walk.

In regards to the question on development and outside aid to a community – how do you assist without creating dependence? I believe it is how we work amongst and within communities. Do we view people as beneficiaries, accepting handouts? Or do we ask them to participate in projects, develop ownership, building up leaders from within to ensure sustainability after the project has exited. I want to believe that organizations in international development are putting first the needs of communities and working from within, all the while assessing the impact each project brings. The future effects of bringing in foreign aid and introducing new “sustainable” options to the numerous needs we see around the world - this impact is important. I want to believe - that respect, dignity and basic human rights are being forthright and foremost in each project that is designed and carried through. I want to believe - that vulnerable adults, women, and children are all given priority care and not forgotten in the shadows. I want to believe there is good in people and in work that is done in another’s name. I at times do not see this happening and often feel as if I am laying by the poolside waiting for the miracle worker to show me the healing waters, the magic solution that will cure it all. The answer to the ageless question of how to help without creating dependency; without making the hurt and suffering and lack of self-empowerment worse.

“Get up! Pick up your mat, and walk.” This is what we can do.

1 comment:

Amy Evenson said...

I love reading your blogs! keep them coming! :)

-your cousin