Mar 13, 2007

where is heaven?

One of my favorite things about air travel is getting a window seat to sit and stare at the clouds. I can stare at them all day and never grow tired. I’m completely fascinated. Are they made out of snow? Or cotton candy? Are they sticky or if you jump, would you fall right through them? Some even look like rigid mountain tops. And the shapes…so many shapes for the imagination to create! In my childhood, there was this dip in our back yard where I imagine an old stump must have been pulled from. A saucer-like hole where green grass grew up. My dad and I used to lie on our backs in that dip and watch the clouds float by. We’d create animals and dragons and imagine what it must be like to fly high in the sky. I always dreamt of cloud hopping and lying on my tummy on a big fluffy cloud with my legs kicked up and laughing at the silly little people below me.:-)

Yesterday as I flew to Malaysia, it was still light outside and I once again lost myself in the sheer joy of the clouds. But as I thought back on my fond childhood memories, I looked out and down beneath the clouds. You can’t see anything. We were flying just above them and you can’t see anything below. That kinda killed my romantic notion of belly watching once I got to heaven. :-) And then I thought of where heaven must be? If God can hold the whole world in his hands and if the universe is just a small creation of his making…where is heaven? As a child we’re told our loved ones who pass away are watching us from above. But you can’t see anything that high??? The thought made me a bit sad. Maybe it’s one of those beliefs that require a “child-like faith”? Or maybe…once we get to heaven we’re given super sonic vision that lets us cut through the atmosphere between the clouds above and the earth below? :-) It would go along very well with our ability to spread our arms and fly!! (I can’t wait to be superwoman! :-))

No comments: