Feb 27, 2007

hello

I've titled this website “unexpected journeys” because I think life brings us many surprises. Some are good, some are difficult; some bring joy and others bring sadness. But I believe there is beauty in each journey. It is the unexpected part that is of beauty and that which I challenge myself to see in each new experience.

Moving across the world to work at a new job, live in a new city, meet new friends and essentially create a new life is definitely a challenge. My mom always tells me to “expect the unexpected” and the drama won’t seem so dramatic at the time. :-) My new life here in Bangkok has brought many unexpected challenges. It has also provided to be quite exciting and entertaining! I’ve now moved into my own little apartment, so I have a place to call home after traveling to the field sites. I’ve worked up in Mae La Refugee Camp; which is located on the central western border of Thailand and Burma. I’ve also traveled to Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia to work with the urban refugees. And have had an unexpected two weeks in Bangkok where I stayed for a week at the luxurious Bumrungrad International Hospital with a case of salmonella food poisoning gone very bad! There’s nothing like a stay in the hospital to teach you humbleness. :-) Am doing much better now and am happy to be home and hopefully back to work in a couple days.

This past week I’ve had much time to think without interruptions. A lot of life is happening around me. It’s hard to be far away from the people who I love when their lives bring the unexpected. I wish there was more I could do to be supportive and to help ease the craziness that can be overwhelming. I also miss my friends and family when the craziness is happening to me. :-) I was encouraged this past week by the visitors who came to keep me company in my little blue hospital room. Especially by my new Thai colleagues – there are many cultural differences as well as a language barrier – but they came and sat with me and made great attempt at cheerful chitchat. :-) I have also been extremely lucky with my new girls here – I don’t know what I’d do without them! We planned our beach trip and all the new cafes and shopping we have yet to do once I got out!

I’ve set up an online photo album with Flickr, at http://www.flickr.com/photos/khunkristi/, so you all may check out the places I visit. I’ll try to update as often as I’m able. No great photography, but will hopefully show you a bit of my world over here. It is a beautiful one!

And I will take some pictures of Bangkok soon and maybe think of a few humorous stories to share with you. I know the writings shared when I’m out working in the field are not all that “light”; but sometimes life just gets a bit heavy. :-)

Hello to you all – from Khun Kristi (Ms. Kristi in Thai :-))

No comments: