Jan 15, 2007

entertaining angels

My friend used to tell me that we often are entertained by angels – random people who were sent to encourage or enlighten or guide us. This long journey across the Pacific has reminded me of those simple acts of kindness that people give. I’ve experienced several of them already and wonder if we crossed paths for just that purpose. My connecting flight in Tokyo was canceled and I was put up in a hotel by the airlines. There were 200+ passengers that were also rebooked and were in the same situation. I had the chance to speak with many of them; and was surprised with each conversation of their kindness and concern for other people. Many were tourists, some were humanitarian workers, and others were English teachers or missionaries. All were very unique in their life experiences and wanting to share them as we passed the time waiting! :-)

I’m feeling encouraged. I have survived my first few days of my new job and although they were quite overwhelming, each day has been easier. I suppose it’s to be expected to take some time to familiarize myself with this new city and a new job. I find the Thai culture to be very welcoming; the people are friendly and wanting to help when there’s a need. The sun has shown brightly each day and I’m enjoying the warmth of it very much!

I had great success yesterday as I toured the city with a realtor in search of an apartment – and found a sweet little modern place tucked away on a quiet street, within walking distance to the sky train, and with the most beautiful rooftop garden and pool – which has a fantastic view of the city! I can’t wait to move in! :-) (And there's plenty of room for visitors as well!)

I will be traveling up to Mae La, a refugee camp on the Burma/Thai border, next Sunday. And will spend the next three weeks performing my first pre-screening circuit ride! (Tis what we call our refugee pre-screening interviews when we travel outside the city.) I’m looking forward to being outside of Bangkok and spending some time in the refugee camp. The pictures I’ve seen show very lush green mountains, very muddy terrain, and lots of little children running around with big smiles. :-)

I’ve been wanting a new adventure for a long time. And now that it’s begun, complete with all the unexpecteds I am to expect :-), I am really happy to be here. And I hope that my excitement will continue to grow and I will be able to pass on some of that simple kindness to others that I’ve been shown in this last week.

A big hello to you all! I’m in Thailand!! Another journey has begun…wish me luck!

Kristi

No comments: